Dual Career Support


The UO approach to dual career support has changed as of Fall 2018. For administrative details, see the Requesting Dual Career Support page.

UO’s Commitment to Dual Career Support

In support of our mission to be a world-class institution, the University of Oregon recognizes the importance of supporting dual career couples. We are committed to assisting dual career partners with their job searches and career transitions through a range of resources and opportunities tailored to the partner.

The University of Oregon employs a broad and progressive definition of domestic partnership, inclusive of marital and non-marital relationships, regardless of gender identity or expression.

Announcing UO’s New Dual Career Liaison

UO is excited to announce that we are piloting a new and expanded approach to dual career support. The university’s new dual career liaison, Rhonda Smith, is available for consultations on job search advice and career transitions for eligible dual career partners. Partners of both tenure-track faculty members and senior Officers of Administration are eligible for dual career liaison assistance.

Consultation services include:

  • Introduction to the local/regional market
  • Contacts for networking and informational interviews
  • Resources and advice for off-campus job opportunities
  • Identification of on-campus job opportunities
  • Information about further academic study
  • Resume/CV  and cover letter reviews
  • Career transition or relaunch advice

While positions are not guaranteed, the dual career liaison will also assist with inter-unit negotiations to establish mutually beneficial long-term arrangements, or with consultations regarding off-campus employment. This role was crafted based on feedback from campus stakeholders and dual-career couples.

If you are an incoming faculty member who is interested in accessing this service, please contact your dean or unit head to initiate the process.

Units that are requesting dual-career support can find additional information on the Requesting Dual Career Support page.

Additional Resources

While the support described above is specific to partners of tenure-track faculty and senior administrators, the following resources are available to all dual career partners.