Career faculty review and promotion is covered by Article 19 of the United Academics Collective Bargaining Agreement (UA CBA). Departmental/unit-level criteria documents are available under Department and Unit Policies.
Promotion cases for instructional career faculty are overseen by the Office of the Provost. Promotion cases for research career faculty are overseen by the Office of Research and Innovation. The promotion decisions for all career faculty are made by the provost.
Prior Academic Year
June 15 or June 30
Candidate completes eligibility form and notifies unit head of intent to be considered for promotion.
- By June 15 for 9-month faculty members
- By June 30 for 12-month faculty members
Fall Term - Preliminary Work
- Candidate submits their contributions to the promotion file:
- Department/unit prepares the file
- Identification and solicitation of external reviewers (if applicable)
Fall/Early Winter Term
- Unit Personnel Committee: write report and a vote
- Unit vote
- Unit head: review file and report and make recommendation
- School/College Personnel Committee (as applicable): report and vote
- Dean or vice president: review dossier and report and make recommendation
- Dean or vice president shares report and recommendation with candidate
Note About Timing
The candidate has 10 days from receipt of the dean/vice president/director's report and recommendation to provide responsive material or information which will be included in the evaluation file.
February 1 - April 1
- Submission period for faculty promotion dossiers to OtP for career instructional and to VPRI for career research faculty.
Priority deadline for submission of promotion files to OtP/VPRI for a decision no later than June 1.
Provost or designee: review of promotion files; decision is made for each candidate.
At any time prior to this point of the process, a candidate may withdraw their file (unless the promotional step is required, such as for Librarians).
No later than June 1
Candidates are notified in writing of the provost's decision.