In order to provide unit heads with the information and resources needed to meet their job duties, the Office of the Provost holds mandatory onboarding and training sessions for all new and continuing unit heads.
The Office of the Provost’s unit head training focuses on three main objectives:
- Leadership: Develop knowledge, skills and abilities of leadership including vision, inclusion, culture, climate, curriculum, business management and others.
- People Management: Support and manage unit and faculty in ways that lead to successful and longstanding careers, as well as excellence in teaching & scholarship/research.
- Policy and Procedures: Access, understand and follow policies and procedures described in the United Academics and GTFF CBAs, as well as university and unit policy libraries.
Upcoming Opportunities for All Unit Heads
Upcoming New Unit Head Trainings
April 3, 2019: New Heads Monthly Series - April Training
May 1, 2019: New Heads Monthly Series - May Training
June 5, 2019: New Heads Monthly Series - June Training
New Unit Head Onboarding
New unit heads will meet once per month throughout the academic year. Sessions will typically be held on Wednesday mornings from 8:00 – 9:50 a.m. Trainings will be timely, addressing topics that new unit heads will be facing.
New unit head trainings are open to other unit-level managers and established heads who may be looking for a refresher.
The first unit head onboarding day was held on June 15, 2018. A truncated make-up session will be held on December 7, 2018, between 9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m in the EMU Cedar Room. Please register online. Lunch will be provided.
See the "Upcoming New Unit Head Trainings" above for dates and specific topics.
- February 6, 2019: Budgets 101. Download presentation.
- October 3, 2018: Career Instructional and Research NTTF Promotion. Download presentation.
- November 7, 2018: Unit Heads Role in the Tenure Review Process. Download presentation.
All Unit Heads Trainings
All unit head (new and continuing) are expected to attend training sessions once per term. Sessions will typically be held on Wednesday mornings from 8:30 – 9:50 a.m. These mandatory sessions will provide heads with information necessary for them to successfully navigate the expectations of their role.
Topics will be determined based on the most pressing and timely issues facing unit heads campus wide. Unit managers are welcome to attend these trainings, but are not required. Please see "Upcoming Opportunities for All Unit Heads" above for dates and specific topics.