In order to provide unit heads with the information and resources needed to meet their job duties, the Office of the Provost holds mandatory onboarding and training sessions for all new and continuing unit heads.
The Office of the Provost’s unit head training focuses on three main objectives:
- Leadership: Develop knowledge, skills, and abilities of leadership including vision, inclusion, culture, climate, curriculum, business management, and others.
- People Support: Support and manage unit and faculty in ways that lead to successful and longstanding careers, as well as excellence in teaching & scholarship/research.
- Policy and Procedures: Access, understand and follow policies and procedures described in the United Academics and GTFF CBAs, as well as university and unit policy libraries.
Upcoming Opportunities for All Unit Heads
Fall Term Timely Updates Meeting: Wednesday, October 27, 2021 9:00-10:30 a.m. Please register via MyTrack.
Winter Term Timely Updates Meeting: Wednesday, February 23, 2022 9:00-10:30 a.m. Please register via MyTrack.
Spring Term Timely Updates Meeting: Wednesday, April 27, 2022, 9:00-10:30 a.m. Please register via MyTrack.
Upcoming New Unit Head Trainings
Registration links will be become available as each date approaches.
- Wednesday October 6, 9:00-10:00 a.m.
Topic: Unit head's role in the tenure review process with Gabe Paquette, Vice Provost for Academic Affairs.
Pre-session assignment: Found in the Unit Heads - Community Canvas site (if you require access, please email OtP@uoregon.edu).
- Wednesday November 3, 9:00-10:00 a.m. Please register via MyTrack.
Topic: Career Instructional and Career Research Faculty Promotion with Gabe Paquette, Vice Provost or Academic Affairs.
Pre-session assignment: Details coming soon.
- Wednesday December 1, 9:00-10:00 a.m.
- Wednesday January 5, 9:00-10:00 a.m.
- Wednesday February 2, 9:00-10:00 a.m.
- Wednesday March 2, 9:00-10:00 a.m.
- Wednesday April 6, 9:00-10:00 a.m.
- Wednesday May 4, 9:00-10:00 a.m.
- Wednesday June 1, 9:00-10:00a.m.
New Unit Head Onboarding and Support
Being a new unit head is a challenge, we know. But you are not alone. We have designed both synchronous and asynchronous opportunities for you to develop the knowledge, skills and abilities to be successful while introducing you to the campus partners you will need as support along the way.
New Unit Head Onboarding. Friday June 10, 2022. This full day kicks off our year of programming with an interactive event that digs into authentic case studies and scenarios that unit heads face. Academic unit managers are invited to attend alongside you, as your closest local collaborator.
Asynchronous Learning. All new unit heads and their academic unit managers will be added to a community.uoregon.edu Canvas site with a rich array of content curated specifically for unit heads.
New Unit Head Monthly Meetings. First Wednesday of each month from 9:00 - 10:00 a.m. (see above for dates). Preparation for these meetings will include reviewing specific content from the community.uoregon.edu site, allowing our time together to be used to address common challenges or confusions, and ensuring your questions are answered.
All Unit Heads Trainings
All unit head (new and continuing) are expected to attend training sessions once per term. Sessions will typically be held on Wednesday mornings from 9:00-10:30 a.m. These mandatory sessions will provide heads with information necessary for them to successfully navigate the expectations of their role.
Topics will be determined based on the most pressing and timely issues facing unit heads campus-wide. Unit managers are welcome to attend these trainings, but are not required. Please see "Upcoming Opportunities for All Unit Heads" above for dates and specific topics.
- June 5, 2019: Inclusive and equitable practices to support recruiting, retention, and advancement within a department. Download presentation.
- October 28, 2020: Fall Term Timely Updates Meeting