In order to provide unit heads with the information and resources needed to meet their job duties, the Office of the Provost holds mandatory onboarding and training sessions for all new and continuing unit heads.
The Office of the Provost’s unit head training focuses on three main objectives:
- Leadership: Develop knowledge, skills, and abilities of leadership including vision, inclusion, culture, climate, curriculum, business management, and others.
- People Management: Support and manage unit and faculty in ways that lead to successful and longstanding careers, as well as excellence in teaching & scholarship/research.
- Policy and Procedures: Access, understand and follow policies and procedures described in the United Academics and GTFF CBAs, as well as university and unit policy libraries.
Upcoming Opportunities for All Unit Heads
Fall Term Timely Updates Meeting: Wednesday October 28, 9:00-10:30 a.m.
Winter Term Timely Updates Meeting: Wednesday February 24, 9:00-10:30 a.m.
Spring Term Timely Updates Meeting: Wednesday April 28, 9:00-10:30 a.m.
Upcoming New Unit Head Trainings
Registration links will be become available as each date approaches.
Wednesday October 7, 9:00-10:30 a.m. Unit Heads Role in the Tenure Review Process
Wednesday November 4, 9:00-10:30 a.m.
Wednesday December 2, 9:00-10:30 a.m.
Wednesday January 6, 9:00-10:30 a.m.
Wednesday February 3, 9:00-10:30 a.m.
Wednesday March 3, 9:00-10:30 a.m.
Wednesday April 7, 9:00-10:30 a.m.
Wednesday May 5, 9:00-10:30 a.m.
Wednesday June 2, 9:00-10:30 a.m.
New Unit Head Onboarding
New unit heads will meet once per month throughout the academic year. Sessions will be held on the first Wednesday of each month from 9:00 - 10:30 a.m. Trainings will be timely, addressing topics that new unit heads will be facing.
New unit head trainings are also open to academic unit managers and established heads who may be looking for a refresher.
For new unit heads beginning summer or fall 2021, the mandatory unit new head onboarding day will be held June 11, 2021, 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
See the "Upcoming New Unit Head Trainings" above for dates and specific topics.
- March 4, 2020: Initiating the Tenure Process. Download presentation.
- February 5, 2020: Budgets 101. Download presentation.
- December 4, 2019: Know Your Contracts: Employee and Labor Relations Pitfalls. Download presentation.
- November 6, 2019: Career Faculty Promotion. Download presentation.
- October 2, 2019: Unit Heads Role in the Tenure Review Process. Download presentation.
- June 5, 2019: Inclusive and equitable practices to support recruiting, retention, and advancement within a department. Download presentation.
- May 1, 2019: Teaching Quality. Download presentation.
All Unit Heads Trainings
All unit head (new and continuing) are expected to attend training sessions once per term. Sessions will typically be held on Wednesday mornings from 9:00-10:30 a.m. These mandatory sessions will provide heads with information necessary for them to successfully navigate the expectations of their role.
Topics will be determined based on the most pressing and timely issues facing unit heads campus-wide. Unit managers are welcome to attend these trainings, but are not required. Please see "Upcoming Opportunities for All Unit Heads" above for dates and specific topics.
- February 26, 2020: Winter Term Timely Updates.
- May 29, 2019: Spring Term Timely Updates.
- September 13, 2018: Summit for Academic Leaders
- November 13, 2018: Offer Letter Term Sheet. Download workshop presentation.
- September 17, 2020: Summit for Academic Leaders - links materials and recordings available by emailing OtP@uoregon.edu