Travel Support Fund for Represented Faculty

The Travel Support Fund is a central pool of funds aimed at mitigating impacts of university travel on represented faculty member’s families. These funds are available to be requested by any faculty member represented by United Academics via the application form through the Provost’s office.  

Per the collective bargaining agreement, the total amount available through the Travel Support Fund is $150,000 per fiscal year and individual bargaining unit members are permitted to use up to $1,000 from the fund each academic year toward eligible expenses, outlined below. Any residual funds leftover at the end of the year would roll forward and add to the total available fund in the following year.  

How it can be used 

Expenses covered by this fund may include any incremental cost that bargaining unit faculty member bears due to the need to travel, including but not limited to additional dependent care at home; the cost of transporting the dependent as well as a caregiver to a conference or meeting location; on-site dependent care at a conference or meeting; expenses related to storing and shipping expressed milk during travel..  

Process for requesting funds:  

  1. Prior to your trip, work with your department’s business manager or travel coordinator to identify eligible incremental costs that will be incurred as a result of upcoming university travel.  

  1. Submit an application form to the Office of the Provost for approval. For an upcoming trip, we request that the application be submitted at least 1 month in advance of the anticipated travel. Please allow two weeks for review. Retroactive requests may be made for university travel that took place between September 16, 2022, and December 1, 2022. 

  1. Once approved, the Office of the Provost will work with your department’s business manager to ensure the funds  are made available to cover the incremental costs identified in the request.  

Important considerations 

Most costs associated with dependent care or dependent travel are taxable. If you have questions regarding whether or not a specific cost will be taxable, please work with your department’s business manager or contact