Provost and Senior Vice President Patrick Phillips has launched an external search for a new Vice Provost and University Librarian. This is a new title for this position, and it is one that reflects the vision that the university librarian does not just oversee one unit, but leads an important unit which serves as a critical underpinning for many other units and initiatives on campus (much like the Graduate School, Global Engagement, or Undergraduate Education and Student Success).
The Office of the Provost is working closely with a University of Oregon search committee and executive search firm WittKieffer to fill the position.
The position profile can be found on the WittKieffer website. A forum was held in early November to gather information before developing the position profile. The profile represents the feedback that came from UO Libraries stakeholders.
Inquiries, nominations, and applications are invited. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. For fullest consideration, applicant materials should be received by February 15, 2020. Candidates should provide a curriculum vitae and a letter of application that addresses the responsibilities and requirements described in the leadership profile. These materials should be sent via email to the University of Oregon’s consultants: Suzanne Teer, Philip Tang, and Jessica Herrington at uoregonVPUL@wittkieffer.com.
The UO search committee is comprised of members who represent a cross section of UO Libraries faculty and staff, as well as key institutional partners and stakeholders. Members include:
- Gabe Paquette (Chair), Dean of the Clark Honors College
- Marc Carpenter, PhD candidate in History
- Eric Clark, Assistant Head, Access Services, UO Libraries
- Justin Demsky, Fiscal Coordinator, UO Libraries
- Franny Gaede, Head of Digital Scholarship Services, UO Libraries
- Sara Hodges, Professor of Psychology
- Mary Ann Hyatt, Professor and Director of the Law Library
- Jimmy Murray, Technology Specialist and Student Supervisor, Price Science Commons and Research Library
- Zhuo Jing-Schmidt, Professor of East Asian Languages
- Miriam Rigby, Social Sciences Librarian, UO Libraries
- Erin Stoddart, Strategic Projects and Grants Development Librarian, UO Libraries
- Melissa Galvan, Undergraduate student (Mathematics and Physics)
Search Advocate: Don Dixon, Desktop Services Technician, Information Services
Suzette Howard, Executive Assistant to the provost and his chief of staff, will provide staff support on behalf of the Office of the Provost.
What is the timeline for the search?
It is likely that finalist interviews will take place in late winter term or early spring term (2020), with the anticipated start date for the new vice provost and university librarian in spring or summer 2020.
Will candidates be known to the public?
Information about the finalists will be posted on this website, and members of the community will have the opportunity to meet them.