January 28, 2016
The university is obligated to provide notice of renewal or non-renewal of appointment to career non-tenure-track faculty bargaining unit members. This message serves as a reminder of the following deadlines for providing that notice. Further information on the notification process, and link to templates for notification letters can be found on the Academic Affairs website under Contract Renewal.
- Notice for career NTTF who are not funding-contingent must be provided by May 1.
- Notice for promoted funding-contingent career NTTF must be provided 30 days prior to the non-renewal of the appointment.
- Other funding-contingent faculty must be notified “as soon as practicable.”
- Prior to sending any non-renewal, the department/unit must consult with Susan Anderson (if the NTTF is in a school or college) or Moira Kiltie (if the NTTF is in an OVPRI unit). Please provide documentation to Susan or Moira no later than April 4 for those who are not funding-contingent, and at least two weeks in advance of non-renewal notice for those who are funding contingent.
- If a department or unit needs to end the contract or change the FTE of a funding-contingent faculty member mid-appointment or is contemplating reorganization or other reduction in staff that will involve multiple employees, the department/unit head/director must contact Susan Anderson (if the NTTF is in a school or college) or Moira Kiltie (if the NTTF is in an OVPRI unit) well in advance to ensure that these changes are made appropriately.
- The process for renewal/non-renewal is different for career NTTF who have been promoted and those who have not been promoted. See the Academic Affairs website for details.
Thank you for helping ensure that we get out notices of renewal and non-renewal in a timely manner. As always, please let us know immediately if you have any questions or concerns.
Susan and Moira
Susan C. Anderson Moira Kiltie
Senior Vice Provost for Academic Affairs Associate Vice President and Chief of Staff
Office of the Provost and Academic Affairs Office of the Vice President for Research and Innovation
(541) 346-4056 (541) 346-3188