February 7, 2018
I am writing to remind you that each academic unit needs to establish learning outcomes, assessment plans, and an annual assessment report for each undergraduate major and for all graduate degrees and programs.
Assessment, a requirement of accreditation, provides an opportunity for us to enhance our focus on student success, one of our key strategic priorities. It is a regular and routine aspect of teaching that often occurs informally, and that we now need to formalize. Our accreditors require us to document these processes. Assessment documentation is published on the Academic Affairs website.
I encourage all units to engage in this important work in a manner that is truly useful to improving your curricula. To assist with your efforts, rubrics and templates are available on the Academic Affairs website.
Ron Bramhall, associate vice provost for academic excellence, and Mariann Hyland, assistant vice provost for academic affairs, are available to answer your questions and provide technical assistance. Please let them know if you’d like to schedule workshops on assessment for your units.
To ensure that we stay on track with our requirements and maximize our student success efforts, I am establishing new assessment deadlines. Assessment coordinators in each school/college should establish internal deadlines that provide sufficient time to meet OPAA’s deadlines below, and collect and review documents according to those internal timelines. Assessment coordinators should submit assessment materials in a batch to OtP@uoregon.edu consistent with the schedule outlined below.
Assessment Materials Submission Schedule
- To allow units to catch up in the development of learning objectives and assessment plans, the requirement to submit an assessment report that covers activity in AY 2016-17 is being waived.
- Outstanding learning outcomes and assessment plans for undergraduate majors are due by March 23, 2018.
- Learning objectives and assessment plans for graduate degrees and programs are due by December 14, 2018.
- Annual assessment reports for AY 2017-18 will be due December 14, 2018.
- Annual assessment reports will be due at the end of each fall term for reports addressing the prior academic year.
Thank you for your engagement in the assessment process.
Executive Vice Provost for Academic Affairs